Subject: Re: Using a different index and HEAD

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:25:46 -0800 (PST)

Enrico Weigelt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm currently thinking about an IDE toolkit entirely based on git,
> which eg. versions every single file save operation (so, IOW: an
> separately versioned workdir) automatically and later allows to
> rebase/rework this to tell what really gets committed to the
> actual working branch. For this multiple indices and refs/HEAD
> pointers would be very helpful.

UGFWIWNI (Using Git For What It Was Not Intended) ;-) ?

> 
> Is there already a way to tell other locations for index file
> and current HEAD symref on command line (just like we have w/
> --work-dir etc) ?

There is GIT_INDEX_FILE environment variable (see git(1) manpage);
you can maniplate symrefs such as HEAD directly using git-symbolic-ref
(and git-show-ref, git-rev-parse, etc.).

You can also check 'contrib/workdir/git-new-workdir' script.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git