Subject: Re: Efficiently detecting paths that differ from each other only in case

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 01:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

Dun Peal <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Re-reading your original message, I have a few more thoughts.
> >
> > One is that you don't need to do this per-commit. You probably want to
> > do it per-updated-ref, each of which may be pushing many commits. And
> > then you either reject the new ref value or not.
> 
> I think I do, actually, because let's say the developer pushes two
> commits, 1<-2. Suppose commit 1 violates the rule, but commit 2
> reverts the violation. One might think that we don't care, since the
> head will now be on 2, which is a correct state. But in fact we do,
> because this is Git, and anyone may branch of from 1 in the future,
> and voila we have a head in an incorrect state.

Sidenote: why not detect violation earlier, by having pre-commit hook
in each developer repository check for such violation?  It is not as
time sensitive on the local side (when creating a commit, you have to
take some time to write commit message anyway).

See how example pre-commit hook check for "non-ascii" file names.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git