Subject: Re: gitosis-lite

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:13:53 -0700 (PDT)

Sitaram Chamarty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello all,
> 
> I created a new project called gitosis-lite, which combines
> the essential pieces of gitosis with the per-branch
> permissions stuff in the example in the howto directory of
> git.git.
> 
> The config file is different, (there's an annotated example
> you can look at).
> 
> The "why" and the "what" are all at
> http://github.com/sitaramc/gitosis-lite

Could you add information about this tool (perhaps after confirmation
/ deciding on project name[1]) to Git Wiki page
  http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools
somewhere below Gitosis?  Please do not forget to include that it is
written in Perl; see other entries for example.

You wrote in project's README.markdown that you were inspired by
Gitosis (which requires Python and python-setuptools) and
Documentation/howto/update-hook-example.txt (which uses bash).
Why not contrib/hooks/update-paranoid (which is written in Perl)?

Using Perl code for configuration is simple and fast, but not very
secure.  Why not use git config format (via "git config -l -z" like in
gitweb), or YAML or JSON (or Storable)?  Well, YAML might be overkill.

BTW. if you blog about gitosis-lite (http://sitaramc.blogspot.com/)
it could be picked up by Perl Iron Man Blogging challenge, and you
could get wider review.

[1]: gitosis-lite doesn't look like CPAN-y name.  Git::Admin perlhaps?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git