Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v3 7/8] Support sparse checkout in unpack_trees() and read-tree

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

[email-masked] writes:
> 2009/8/11 Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>:

> > [1] .git/info/sparse has the same syntax as .git/info/exclude. Files
> > that match the patterns will be set as CE_VALID.
> 
> Does this mean it will only support excluding paths you don't want
> rather than letting you only include paths you do want?

Errr... what I read is that paths set by .git/info/sparse would be
excluded from checkout (marked as assume-unchanged / CE_VALID).

But if it is the same mechanism as gitignore, then you can use ! 
prefix to set files (patterns) to include, e.g.

  !Documentation/
  *

(I think rules are processed top-down, first matching wins).
 
> I'm currently using your other patch series that lets you include or
> exclude paths (via config variable) and I find that I mostly use the
> include side of it with only a few excluded paths. This is because I
> typically want to include only a small subset of the repository so
> using excludes would require a pretty large list and any time somebody
> adds new files, I'd have to update the exclude list.

Not true, see above.

-- 
Jakub Narebski

Git User's Survey 2009
http://tinyurl.com/GitSurvey2009