Subject: Re: What are branches?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

Björn Steinbrink <[email-masked]> writes:

> If you go out, and look at a tree lit-up by the evil daystar, branches
> start at the trunk and end at their tip. The trunk isn't part of the
> branch.  [...]

Well, you have to remember that the 'branch' metaphor should not be
taken too literaly; take for example merges which do not have
equivalent in a tree build.

But if we are talking about literal branches: take a closer loog at
the tip of tree (plant) branch.  You can find growong tip there
(apical meristem) where new cells grow.  In Git you have 'branches'
(branch heads) where you create new commits...

But I agree that there isn't for example true notion of 'trunk' in
git, and this is what allows Git to be truly distributed...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git