Subject: Re: bare init and gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:27:51 -0700 (PDT)

Martin Röhricht <[email-masked]> writes:

> in order to use git for some projects via WebDAV I followed the
> instructions given in
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/setup-git-server-over-http.txt

[...]
> Whenever I clone the server's repository somewhere else, I get the
> README file as expected. But when I use gitweb to show me the contents
> of the repository, all I get is this:
> 
> -------------------------8<------------------------
> projects /
> 
> 403 Forbidden - No projects found
> -------------------------8<------------------------
> 
> The projectroot variable within /etc/gitweb.conf points to my
> ~/gitrepo.git, and whenever I use "git init", add and commit some
> files locally on the server I see the contents as expected by using
> gitweb, but never by using a repository created with "git --bare init".
> 
> Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate any help.

The $projectroot variable should point to the _common root_ of all
projects, in your case it could be one directory up your repository,
for example

  our $projectroot = /home/nick

not

  our $projectroot = /home/nick/gitrepo.git

(and '~' expansion would not work).

gitweb/README and gitweb/INSTALL should explain it in more detail.
The documentation you mentioned IIUC is for people who know how to
setup gitweb already
  http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git?a=blob;f=gitweb/INSTALL;hb=HEAD
  http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git?a=blob;f=gitweb/README;hb=HEAD

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git