Subject: Re: Git on Windows, CRLF issues

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Karlsson <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have began moving old repositories for Windows-based software to
> Git. Since the tool I am moving from stores everything with CRLF line
> endings and have RCS-like keyword expansion, I'm treating it all as
> binary data when exporting to Git, i.e I have CRLF in the checked-in
> data (and I do want that, since this is Windows-only sources).
> 
> Now the latests msysgit comes along and (finally!) sets core.autocrlf
> to true by default.
> 
> How do I handle this without having everyone breaking check-ins? I
> can't require everyone to do unset core.autocrlf globally. Can I do
> that with gitattributes?

I think you can, by unsetting `crlf` attribute, i.e. putting the
following in .gitattributes:

   * -crlf

See gitattributes(5):

  `crlf`
  ^^^^^^

  This attribute controls the line-ending convention.

  [...]

  Unset::

        Unsetting the `crlf` attribute on a path is meant to
        mark the path as a "binary" file.  The path never goes
        through line endings conversion upon checkin/checkout.

Not tested!
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git