Subject: Re: Questions concerning SCM Life Cycle Management and GIT.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

"Butler, Anna R CIV NSWCDD, W34" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
> 
> We are looking for Software Configuration Life Cycle Management
> Tools.  It looks to me that GIT supports Version Control only.  Is
> this true or did I miss something?

Git is distributed version control system only (following UNIX
philosophy "Write programs that *do one thing* and *do it well*").

> Does GIT track software defects? If so can you link elements in the
> software version repository to a defect?
>
> Does GIT track Requirements?  If so can you link elements in the
> software version repository to a requirement?  Can GIT link test
> cases to both a defect and elements in the software version
> repository?
> 
> I appreciate you attention to these questions.  Looking forward to
> hearing form you.

If you want/need *integrated solution* covering whole Software
Configuration Life Cycle Management, there are tools that come
to my mind:

1. Gerrit[1], a web-based collaborative code review tool for Git,
   which uses Git for version control.  It is used by Google for
   development of Android platform.  Open source (Apache license).

2. Kiln[2], from Fog Creek, with integrated code review and FogBugz 
   integration (a web-based project management tool), which uses
   Mercurial (other DVCS) for version control.  IIRC proprietary.

3. There is Launchpad[3], which uses Bazaar for version control.
   Used by Ubuntu.  Open source (AGPLv3).

GitHub offers paid plans, and also hosted GitHub:FI; it includes
issue tracker and a kind of code review.  Similar opensource solution
include Gitorious and InDefero.

HTH

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
[2] http://www.fogcreek.com/kiln/
[3] https://launchpad.net/
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git