Subject: Re: Git Logo

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 08:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

David Soria Parra <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2009-08-03, Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Who owns the copyright to the Git logo as seen here?
> >
> > http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/FrontPage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=git-logo.png
>
> According to git's history, the file was commited by Martin Waitz 
> in 281f2f6b45bf62e5bc81a6b457f1f7d26c426ea3 and is licensed under the
> GPL.

The file git-logo.png as separate file was added by Martin Waitz in
281f2f6 (gitweb: use out-of-line GIT logo., 2006-07-31), but it was
just extracting file that was earlier created by gitweb with
'git-logo.png' action.

If you go back in history, you would notice that gitweb started to
generate it correctly in 8f1deb5 (set logo output to raw mode,
2005-11-23) by Kay Sievers, was converted from octal to hex in 
b87d78d (v107, 2005-08-07), with the following comment
  # cat git-logo.png | hexdump -e '16/1 " %02x"  "\n"' | sed 's/ /\\x/g'
and that before being embedded in gitweb (being generated by gitweb)
in 44ad297 (v014, 2005-08-07) it was simply git_logo.png file (back
then a separate file).  I _think_ that link to git_logo.png first
appeared in 4c02e3c (v000, 2005-08-07), which was second commit for
gitweb.

>>From examining file with 'identify -verbose' from ImageMagick you can
see
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.2 05/24/06 Q16
(I guess that mean 24 June 2005, not 24 May 2006).

That doesn't help (much) to get to know who is the author of
git_logo.png, and what license it is under.  I expect it to be GPLv2
(or GPLv2 or later) licensed, like the rest of Git.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git