Subject: Re: Git weekly news: 2008-49

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 08:02:33 -0800 (PST)

"Felipe Contreras" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi there,
> 
> I've been following the git tag at delicious.com[1] and there's quite
> many interesting links, so I thought  on gathering them so the git
> community can enjoy them in one pack :)

Nice work, although I think better alternative would be to weed those
links out, and put them in appropriate sections (or subsections) on
Git Wiki; to be more exact on http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitLinks
 
> The blog post is here:
> http://gitlog.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/git-weekely-news-2008-49/

First, "Official git blog"? Official? There is nothing official about
it. "Unofficial git blog", or "A git developer blog" (or "A git
follower blog"; unfortunately names like gitter or gitster for git
power user's, like TeXnician for TeX users, are taken by nicknames on
#git, if I remember correctly).  Only git maintainer (Junio Hamano)
and git development community (the git mailing list) can decide that
something is "official" resource.

Second, I am a bit curious about 49 in "Git weekly news: 2008-49"
name of the post.

Third, it is collection of links, not news[1].

[1] It would be nice if somebody resurrected GitTraffic, offshot of
now defunct KernelTraffic, or at least helped to write Git articles
for KernelTrap (which currently is in a bit of hiatus).

> 
> But here are the links anyway. The order is rather random.

Moreover the _quality_ of those links is very random.

> Why Git is Better than X
> http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

Quite good link from what I superficially checked, present in
GitComparison wiki page.

> 
> GitTorrent, The Movie
> http://www.advogato.org/article/994.html

This article is so full of bad information, exaggeration and
hyperbole, that it would be better to forget about it, and not put it
in the list.

> Peer-to-peer Protocol for Synchronizing of Git Repositories
> http://code.google.com/p/gittorrent/

Not news.

> 
> Codebase - Git repository hosting with source browser, changesets,
> ticketing & deployment tracking.
> http://atechmedia.com/codebase

Not news. Besides it is present in GitHosting wiki page.

> 
> Codebase Launches Git-based Project Management Service
> http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2008/12/04/codebase-launches-git-based-project-management-service/

Good link, perhaps should be added as 'see also' on GitHosting wiki
page, if it is not there already.

> 
> The Git Community Book
> http://book.git-scm.com/index.html

http://book.git-scm.com/

Good link, present in GitDocumentation. But not news link.

> 
> GitX: A git GUI specifically for Mac OS X
> http://gitx.frim.nl/index.html

On InterfacesFrontendsAndTools. But not a news link.

> 
> Pushing and pulling with Git, part 1
> http://www.gnome.org/~federico/news-2008-11.html#pushing-and-pulling-with-git-1

Very good documentation, with nicely done graphic.

> $ cheat git
> http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/git/

A bit big for a cheat _sheet_. perhaps it should be added to
GitCheatSheet (see example here for cheat _sheet_) and/or to
GitDocumentation wiki page.

> gh > hg
> http://github.com/blog/218-gh-hg

Seems to be a bit of curio. Not important enough to place it in
GitLinks, IMVHO.

> 
> Easy Git External Dependency Management with Giternal
> http://www.rubyinside.com/giternal-easy-git-external-dependency-management-1322.html

Present on BlogPosts. Might be not as important as article about
Gitosis, because 1.) you can do this by hand, 2.) there are alternate
tools, like Piston, Giston -> Braid.

> Work with Git from Emacs
> http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/emacs-vcs/EmacsGit.html

Very good article, presenting various Emacs modules to work with
Git. Currently as far as I know not present on Git Wiki, but present
on 'Git' page on Emacs Wiki.

> 
> It's Magit! A Emacs mode for Git.
> http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/

Probably should be added (as the rest of Emacs modes) to the
InterfacesFrontendsAndTools git wiki page.

> 
> Improving my git workflow
> http://hoth.entp.com/2008/11/10/improving-my-git-workflow

This post is mainly about the same as
  http://graysky.org/2008/12/git-branch-auto-tracking/
namely setting tracking information for _pushed_ branch, using single
command. 

This could have been added to BlogPosts git wiki page.

> 
> git-bz: Bugzilla subcommand for Git
> http://blog.fishsoup.net/2008/11/16/git-bz-bugzilla-subcommand-for-git/

Should be added in addition to git-bugzila to appropriate section at
InterfacesFrontendsAndTools wiki page. Good link.

> 
> android.git.kernel.org Git
> http://android.git.kernel.org/

Is at GitProjects, but thanks for reminding about new server (new
URL). Not a news.

> 
> GitSvnComparsion
> http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

No comment.

> 
> Guides: Developing with Submodules
> http://github.com/guides/developing-with-submodules

Seems like a good reference. Probably should be added to both
GitSubmodules and BlogPosts pages at git wiki.

> 
> A web-focused Git workflow
> http://joemaller.com/2008/11/25/a-web-focused-git-workflow/

I have't read it in detail, so I don't know if the workflow described
there makes sense. I would probably create some rule in Makefile and
use "make publish" or something, which would push the chages _and_
update page, or use post-update hook for that using some 'git-export'
equivalent.

Otherwise from first glance looks like good resource.

> 
> Why we chose Git, a rebuttal
> http://www.unethicalblogger.com/posts/2008/11/why_we_chose_git_a_rebuttal

Nice reference I think, either for GitComparison or BlogPosts (in the
"Praise" section), or GitLinks.

> Git'n Your Shared Host On
> http://railstips.org/2008/11/24/gitn-your-shared-host-on

Not something that one cannot find in basic git documentation, but in
"Further Reading" it has nice selection of links.

> 
> Git integration with Hudson and Trac
> http://www.unethicalblogger.com/posts/2008/11/git_integration_with_hudson_and_trac

Nice example of post-receive hook. Either for BlogPosts or
InterfacesFrontendsAndTools page.

> Everyday GIT With 20 Commands Or So
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html

No comment.

> 
> Hosting Git repositories, The Easy (and Secure) Way
> http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way
Seminal reference, can be found at BlogPosts page on git wiki.
Very good link.

> 
> 10 Reasons to Use Git for Research
> http://mendicantbug.com/2008/11/30/10-reasons-to-use-git-for-research/

Very nice article.

> 
> [1] http://delicious.com/tag/git

I have a host of links to blog posts with git or distributed version
control info bookmarked...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git