Subject: Re: [RFC] git-sequencer.txt

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

Stephan Beyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> ------------------------------ git-sequencer.txt ------------------------------
> git-sequencer(1)
> ================
> 
> NAME
> ----
> git-sequencer - Execute a sequence of git instructions
> 
> SYNOPSIS
> --------
> [verse]
> 'git-sequencer' [-v | --verbose] <file> [<branch>]

I think that you should think carefully if there would be no troubles
with this way of specifying options.  Perhaps explicit file option
(-F/--file=<file>), or optional '--' separating revisions.  But
perhaps my fears are for nothing, and current proposal is good
solution.

> 'git-sequencer' --continue | --skip | --abort | --edit

The common '--continue | --skip | --abort' infrastructure is, I think,
one of the most important things about this.  I'd like to have
'--what' (or '--status') option to tell us if we are in the middle of
sequence of oprations, and what this sequence is (rebase, rebase -i,
am, revert, cherry-pick, sequencer <file>,...).

> TODO FILE FORMAT
> ----------------
> edit <commit>::
> file [<options>] <file>::
> mark <mark>::
> merge [<options>] <commit-ish1> <commit-ish2> ... <commit-ishN>::

> pick [<options>] <commit>::
> 	Pick (see linkgit:git-cherry-pick[1]) a commit.
> 	Sequencer will pause on conflicts.

Two comments (as I don't use "git rebase -i", preferring to work with
StGIT, Quilt-like patch management interface).

First, if git-sequencer is to become backbone for cherry-pick,
allowing for example long requested cherry-picking multiple commits
(squasing them or not into single commit), is should be able to use it
also for git-revert.  Thus I'd like to have either "pick -R" or
"revert" command.

Second, about "pick" accepring (I guess) git-cherry-pick options: I
would like to have documentation on '--mainline <parent-number>'
option in git-sequencer manpage, or at lest explicitely mentioned that
it can be used to pick merge commits.  BTW, is "pick --no-commit"
symmetric equivalent^W alternative to "squash"?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git