Subject: Re: git top links: 2010-7

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 06:23:13 -0700 (PDT)

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> 6. Distributed Version Control is here to stay, baby (14)
> A story of why Stack Overflow's podcast regarding DVCS was plain wrong
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2010/03/17.html

And if you read this blog post carefully, you would see that Joel
still doesn't f***ing get it.

> 9. Git for the nervous developer (10)
> Explaining git from a convert
> http://beust.com/weblog/2010/04/06/git-for-the-nervous-developer/

This quote from abovementioned blog is especially apt

 "Here is an analogy that might help, though: to me, learning Git is
  very similar to learning a foreign language. Natural languages are
  notoriously hard to learn for adults because their organic growth
  has resulted in all kinds of inconsistencies and oddities. At the
  end of the day, the only way to learn a foreign language is to
  memorize, memorize and memorize. As years go by, practice make
  memory regurgitation more automatic and the use of that language
  requires less and less conscious effort, but the learning curve is
  something that just can't be avoided."

The Git UI was result of organic growth.  It is not as much as it was
designed, rather than "happened".

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git