Subject: Re: Chicken/egg problem building from a 'git clone'

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 02:39:46 -0800 (PST)

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:38:27PM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> 
>>>> * we have lots other files in git.git that are autogenerated (the
>>>> documentation files, for example)
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of any auto-generated files that are checked in. Can you
>>> give an example?
>> 
>> man pages and html docs are commited, but in a separate branch. IOW,
>> Junio abuses Git as a distribution mechanism, but keeps it totally
>> separate from the actual sources.
> 
> OK, true; but that is a totally different mechanism, unless the proposal
> is to autobuild a "this would be the release tarball" branch similar to
> html and man branches.

I thnk the proposal was to have 'configure' branch with configure
script built, similar to how 'html' and 'man' branches have built
documentation in HTML and manpages format.

However while toolchain needed to produce documentation (asciidoc +
xmlto) isn't, I think, something very common, in my opinion autoconf
is something that is present on systems containing other build tools
required to build git from sources.  So 'configure' branch is not, I
think, as necessary as 'html' and 'man' branches; additionally 'html'
branch (or the repository used to build documentation, or the
byproduct of building documentation) is used to generate on-line docs
for git.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git