Subject: Re: Roadmap to better handle big files?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:51:00 -0800 (PST)

Nick Triantos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is there any planned functionality to better support large files in
> git?  (> 100MB / file)
> 
> We've been happily using git but we now have some files which we'd
> very much like to have under the same version control as our source
> code, and some of those files have been as large as 450MB/file.  We
> are looking at chunking the file up before commiting it to git, but
> is there any plan to better support chunking of these files during
> repacks or other operations?  Right now, it appears either the whole
> file, or the whole collection of files in a commit (not sure which)
> can need to be resident in memory up to twice, from reading various
> places on the web.  Our poor 32-bit server is barfing on this.  We
> are going to put more RAM and a 64bit OS on the machine, but this
> still seems like an unnecessary design decision.

Git has a roadmap???

More seriously, take a look at git-bigfiles project (fork):
http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/git-bigfiles

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git