Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.5

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> The latest feature release GIT 1.6.5 is available at the usual
> places:
> 
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/
> 
>   git-1.6.5.tar.{gz,bz2}			(source tarball)
>   git-htmldocs-1.6.5.tar.{gz,bz2}		(preformatted docs)
>   git-manpages-1.6.5.tar.{gz,bz2}		(preformatted docs)
> 
> The RPM binary packages for a few architectures are found in:
> 
>   RPMS/$arch/git-*-1.6.5-1.fc9.$arch.rpm	(RPM)
> 
> This cycle took a bit longer than I hoped, but here it is.  We already
> have some new features cooking in 'next', and I expect we may be able to
> have 1.6.6 by the end of the year.

Compiling git from source RPM git-1.6.5-1.fc9.src.rpm using

  $ rpmbuild --rebuild git-1.6.5-1.fc9.src.rpm

fails with the following error:

    SUBDIR perl
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX='/usr'
Only one of PREFIX or INSTALL_BASE can be given.  Not both.
make[1]: *** [perl.mak] Error 2
make: *** [perl/perl.mak] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.53174 (%build)

Compiling git from source with

 $ make prefix=/home/local/git \
        bindir=/home/local/git \
        gitexecdir=/home/local/git \
        template_dir=/home/local/git \
        GIT_PYTHON_DIR=/home/local/git 

gives the same error.

It might matter that I am using modern Perl way of installing Perl
modules locally, via local::lib, with ~/perl5/.modulebuildrc
containing 

  install  --install_base  /home/jnareb/perl5

and I have

  export MODULEBUILDRC="$HOME/perl5/.modulebuildrc"
  export PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=$HOME/perl5"

Doing

 $ unset PERL_MM_OPT

before compiling (from SRPMS) made compilation pass this stage,
and finally succeed.

I guess that perl/Makefile (or rather the file that generates it)
should unset PERL_MM_OPT, or use INSTALL_BASE as DESTDIR rather
than fiddling with PREFIX.

But I am not a Perl hacker
------------------------------------------------------------
perl, v5.8.6
ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.54 (local)
ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.17 (global)

export MODULEBUILDRC="$HOME/perl5/.modulebuildrc"
export PERL_MM_OPT="INSTALL_BASE=$HOME/perl5"
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git