Subject: Re: Fix interesting git-rev-list corner case

From: Peter Osterlund <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jul 2005 22:50:48 +0200

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> > 
> > I have problems pulling linux kernel changes from
> > 33ac02aa4cef417871e128ab4a6565e751e5f3b2 to
> > b0825488a642cadcf39709961dde61440cb0731c into my local tree. At first
> > I thought your patch would fix it, but it doesn't:
> 
> No, this is a merge conflict failure, and you simply have conflicts in the
> tree. git did everything right, it just couldn't do an automatic merge.

OK, but note that I didn't do any editing of any local files myself.
Both commit ids are from your public linux kernel git tree. What I did
was equivalent to:

1. rsync from rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
2. waited a day or so.
3. git-pull-script from the same kernel.org repository.

Is it expected that you end up with merge conflicts in this case? If
that's the case, is there a better way to pull changes that doesn't
involve having to resolve conflicts in files you didn't even know
existed?

I think it should be possible to just fast forward to the new HEAD in
this situation.

-- 
Peter Osterlund - [email-masked]
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340