Subject: Re: Higher-level change review?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:03:25 -0700 (PDT)

[Sending via email, not via GMane; sorry if you got duplications]

Tay Ray Chuan writes:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > I've discovered that Git's diff format is poorly-suited to reviewing the
> > kinds of structural modifications I often deal with, where indentation
> > changes and large parts of documents are reorganized.
> 
> Something off the top of my head:
> 
>   git (diff|show) -w

While -w, --ignore-all-space (and its lesser variant -b, --ignore-space-change)
are nice and good, they cannot deal with code movement.

I have saved somewhere a shell script involving "git blame -w -C -C HEAD^.."
plus some filtering to see what changed beside reordering... but I seem to
have it misplaced.

Found it:

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/174966
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/174954/focus=174966
JH>
JH> "git blame" tip of the day. After applying a series like this on a topic
JH> branch, running
JH>
JH>   $ git blame -C master.. -- gitweb/INSTALL | grep -C 3 -e '^[^^]' | less -S
JH>
JH> lets us view the lines without drowning in the bulk of lines that were
JH> merely moved.

HTH
-- 
Jakub Narębski