Subject: Re: Git, Mac OS X and German special characters

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 16:14:45 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 19:47, Andreas Krey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > The question is, should git forbid two filenames that consist
> > of the *same* characters, only differently uni-encoded? I don't
> > think anyone would make two files named 'Büro', with different
> > unicode encodings. But as far as I know that is a shady area.
> 
> So, let's leave git's current behavior as the default and provide
> a config variable that when set, tells git to handle file names
> in terms of characters rather than bytes.

You meant here _graphemes_, not Unicode codepoint when talking about
characters, didn't you?

IIRC the problem with MacOS X is that it accepts different composition
when creating a file from what it returns when asking for contents of
directory (NFD if I remember correctly, which is less used).

There are some beginnings of sanely handling filesystem encoding in
Git (the framework), but it is currently underutilized only to handle
case-sensitivity and case-preserving.

-- 
Jakub Narębski