Subject: Re: how to configure Git to treat certain type of ascii files as binary files

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

"Weiwei Shu" <[email-masked]> writes:

> My first post in this mailing list. Could some one direct me to some
> document/manual pages to setup Git to treat ascii files as binary
> files? I'm using Git to do circuit schematics (SPICE files)
> versioning. I will not do any merging or editing stuff with external
> editors. The only way to change it is to use schematic capture GUIs
> (Cadence, ADS, etc). So I'd like to treat them as binary files to
> reduce the possibilities of messing them up.
> 
> I know it seems a little bit stupid to use Git to do such an easy job.
> But hey, it's the most eye-catching SCM software, isn't it?

First, git does not modify files unless you have core.crlf set,
and even then it warns about irreversible transformations
(core.safecrlf)

Second, using gitattributes you can set diff driver and merge driver;
one of possibilities is to treat file as binary (binary diff and no
using 3-way file merge).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git