Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Oct 2011, #09; Sun, 23)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]
> By the way, I am planning to stop pushing the generated documentation
> branches to the above repositories in the near term, as they are not
> sources. The only reason the source repository at k.org has hosted these
> branches was because it was the only repository over there that was
> writable by me; it was an ugly historical and administrative workaround
> and not a demonstration of the best practice.
> 
> They are pushed to their own separate repositories instead:
> 
>         git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git-{htmldocs,manpages}.git/
>         git://repo.or.cz/git-{htmldocs,manpages}.git/
>         https://code.google.com/p/git-{htmldocs,manpages}.git/
>         https://github.com/gitster/git-{htmldocs,manpages}.git/

Junio, don't forget to update MaintNotes ("A note from maintainer")
when this happens, though.
 
> * kk/gitweb-side-by-side-diff (2011-10-17) 2 commits
>  - gitweb: add a feature to show side-by-side diff
>  - gitweb: change format_diff_line() to remove leading SP from $diff_class

Nb. I have originally intended to wait for Kato for re-roll with
cleaned up whitespace to be able to apply it and run it before doing
detailed review.  

But then I got sidetracked with noticing inefficiency in diff body
line classification and Junio's proposal to fix it.  Thic change as
written makes first patch in above series unnecessary.  But because of
a bit unnecessary change it was not trivial to resolve Kato's changes
on top of it.  This is 'gitweb/side-by-side-diff' branch

  http://repo.or.cz/w/git/jnareb-git.git/patches/refs/heads/origin..refs/heads/gitweb/side-by-side-diff

Then I have separated adding navigation from other changes, and
basically rewrote layout for side-by-side diff, with adding "filler"
lines instead of box within box as in original submission.  

While at it I have refactored HTML-formatting of chunk header lines
into separate subroutines, making format_diff_line much easier tor
read.

This can be found in 'gitweb/side-by-side-diff-v2' branch

  http://repo.or.cz/w/git/jnareb-git.git/patches/refs/heads/origin..refs/heads/gitweb/side-by-side-diff-v2

Next I went back to Kato's box in box layout idea... kind of, as
context lines are grouped together, and not output line by line.

Also I have added here subtle backround color: separate for pure add,
pure remove, and [supposed] change.  I think this makes side-by-side
diff more readable.

  http://repo.or.cz/w/git/jnareb-git.git/patches/refs/heads/origin..refs/heads/gitweb/side-by-side-diff-v3

> Fun.
> Will keep in 'pu' until the planned re-roll comes.

I am now working on layout using HTML and CSS which would allow to
have a bit of separation between left and right panes in side-by-side
diff, but use pure-CSS "slantalicious"[1] to join background color
markers, e.g. a la http://meld.sourceforge.net/meld_file1.png

More fun!

[1] http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/slantastic/demo.html
  
-- 
Jakub Narebski