Subject: Re: Having some problem with instaweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:23:05 -0700 (PDT)

CC-ing Eric Wong, author of git-instaweb.

Gurjeet Singh <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am on Linux Mint 10 and I tried the following command:
> 
> $ git instaweb -d apache2 -p 1234 --start
> Syntax error on line 1 of /mnt/storage/gurjeet/.git/gitweb/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'server.document-root', perhaps misspelled or defined
> by a module not included in the server configuration
> Could not execute http daemon apache2 -f.

Hmmm... it looks like starts apache2, but generates config file
(httpd.conf) for lighttpd instead.

Ahh... actually you started apache2, but didn't generate configuration
file for it, so git-instaweb re-uses previous config file... which by
default is lighttpd:

  start, --start
      Start the httpd instance and exit. This does not generate any of the
      configuration files for spawning a new instance.

Try using

  $ git instaweb -d apache2 -p 1234 -b lynx
 
then exiting web browser.

BTW. I think that git-instaweb should be more helpful here... will
investigate.

> /mnt/storage/gurjeet/ is my $HOME.

Nb. it doesn't mater where $HOME is, but where is git repository you
were in when calling git-instaweb.

BTW. in the future it would be good idea to tell what git version are
you using.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git