Subject: Re: Applying patches from a patch set

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:25:58 -0800 (PST)

"Mark Ryden" <[email-masked]> writes:

>   I am subscribed to some linux kernel subsystem mailing list; in this
> list there are sometimes patchsets with more than
> 30-40 patches.

I hope in proper patch series...

> I am using gmail web interface client.

Better use some standalone mail program. Patch series should be send
in thread, either as reply to the cover letter message, or threaded
each being reply to previous patch... beside being numbered; IIRC
GMail web interface doesn't have threading implemented...

> In order to apply a patch set I copy and paste each patch from the
> patchset into a file, and then apply that patch.

You use raw view, I assume? Otherwise you would fail afoul word
wrapping and other whitespace mangling, at least...

[...]

> (I remember there was something called git apply-mbox in the past).

You can use "git am" for that, which is modern equivalent, and which
can do (almost) everything git-apply-mbox did.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git