Subject: Re: git-cvsimport problem

From: Madhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:45:13 +0530

* Alenoosh Baghumian <[email-masked]> :
Wrote on Wed, 07 May 2008 16:00:01 +0430:

| I run git-cvsimport in verbose mode and I see "* UNKNOWN LINE *
| Branches:" many times during execution , will that cause any problem ?
| And my repository doesn't include any branches ? so why do I see this
| message ?

You must be using the beta version of cvsps, cvsps-2.2b1

,---- From the CHANGELOG:
| 
| 2.2b1
| - add a new line item in the PatchSet output which indicates which 
|   branches fork off from after this PatchSet.  This is actually
|   the only way to correctly indicate the branching.  The 'Ancestor
|   Branch' thing is actually broken by design, and is now deprecated.
`----

git-cvsimport uses the -A ancestor mechanism (after patching cvsps-2.1
for some corner cases), this ignores the Branches line.

I'd be interested in knowing the git-cvsimport authors' opinion on
reworking it to use the Branches mechanism.
--
Madhu