Subject: Re: Volume of commits

From: Fredrik Tolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:51:44 +0200

Karl Hasselström <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2007-07-12 15:16:47 +0200, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
>
>> Or do you somehow aggregate the smaller commits into larger patches
>> and recommit them? Or is there some third possibility that I'm
>> missing?
>
> Aggregating commits and recommitting is easy, so that's a common tool,
> I'd say. But it's equally possible to take a large commit and pick it
> apart, for example by editing the patch by hand and reapplying it, or
> by using the hunk selection feature of git-gui.

I see. Initially, it sounds like a lot of work, but the more I think
about it, the more I realize that it probably isn't that bad.

> [...]
> If you need to edit a commit that isn't HEAD, you can use git-reset to
> go back to the commit you want to edit, do the editing, and then use
> git-rebase to reapply the other commits on top of the changed commit.

git-rebase is one of those tools I haven't been looking at so far (I'm
still rather new to Git), so I should probably read through its
manpage.

> In general, there are a thousand ways to use git to rewrite history,
> either "by hand" or by using tools such as StGIT. (StGIT is what I
> personally use most of the time. I find it a good tool for producing
> readable patch series.)

I hadn't heard of StGIT, but it looks interesting.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll be needing some time to look them
through. :)

Fredrik Tolf