Subject: Re: REMOTE_USER value propagation through http push

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

Axel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > 
> > Nope, at the time of push commits are already created, and author and 
> > committer info are already set in stone, and not possible to change 
> > without rewriting commits.
> 
> I will dive further into the links you gave. I think I'll sacrify
> the credentials information then for the moment.

What you can do in _distributed_ version control system such as git is
to ensure that pushed *existing* commits (created on client) match
credentials.

That is opposed to situation in _centralized_ version control system
where credentials are used to *create* commits on server.

> Is there a chance that we ll see one day this third level of
> information (the authentication credentials) added to the push and
> displayed by gitweb ?

Well, git by itself doesn't log authentication credentials.  In the
reflog you have user which git is running as, and only if push was
done via smart protocol (and core.logAllRefUpdates is true on server).

So it is unlikely for gitweb to display e.g. gitolite logs... well,
unless gitolite would adds it to gitweb via some pluggable mechanism
like $feature{'actions'}.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git