Subject: Re: Manpage rendering faults

From: Fredrik Tolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:06:36 +0200

Julian Phillips <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
>
>> I often read manpages using a `man -t whatever | ggv -' command, since
>> I like how it is rendered in PostScript. However, it turns out that
>> some things in the Git manpages don't really render very well using
>> that method. For example, in the git-rebase manpage, there are two
>> history graphs that look like this when reading the manpages normally
>> in a terminal:
>
> It's a proportional font issue ...
>
> Running "groff -Tps -f C -man $(man -w git-rebase) | ggv -" should
> display it correctly.  (The "-f C" being the part the man doesn't do)
>
> No idea how to make it use that font by default though ... not even
> sure if you can put that kind of information into a man page?

Well, if it were a "pure" manpage, I'd try to use pic(1) to do it for
the PS version, but I don't suspect asciidoc has a similar feature. I
don't actually know, though -- again, I know virtually nothing about
asciidoc.

Fredrik Tolf