Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2008, #02; Sun, 14)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 03:17:05 -0800 (PST)

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> > * mv/um-pdf (Wed Dec 10 23:44:50 2008 +0100) 1 commit
> >  - Add support for a pdf version of the user manual
> > 
> > I do not have a new enough combination of dblatex and asciidoc myself 
> > but this would help interested people.
> 
> I haven't had a look at the patches, but isn't "pdflatex" supposed to be 
> the common way to get .pdf files from LaTeX sources?

The problem is that AsciiDoc, from what I understand, by itself
generates only XML-ish formats, namely HTML, XHTML and DocBook, and
the rest of formats are generated in postprocessing step by extra
tools from DocBook format:
 * manpages require xmlto
 * info requires docbook2X and makeinfo
 * PDF requires dblatex (db = DocBook), or FOP and xmlto

So the answer is that AsciiDoc does not generate LaTeX, so pdflatex
would be not enough.

By the way, from the AsciiDoc page:

 NOTE: Owning to to other commitments, Benjamin is unable to maintain
       this backend. I don't have the expertise or time to take this
       on consequently the LaTeX backend has not been tested or
       updated since AsciiDoc version 8.2.7 and is currently
       unsupported.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git