Subject: Re: [PATCH 16/16] ls-files: add --overlay option

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

I will comment only on the Documentation part...

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy    <[email-masked]> writes:

> Narrow checkout mode introduces an interesting case: some files
> are not to be checked out (marked CE_NO_CHECKOUT in index) but still
> exist in working directory. Those files will be ignored by Git unless
> explicitly specified. In ClearCase, these files are called "eclipsed".
> I would call them "overlay" for now. Any better term is welcome.

"un-un-checked-out"? Just kidding.  "not needed", "unneeded",...
ah, I know, perhaps "unwanted"? Or "orphaned" ("abandoned")?

[...]
> --- a/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-ls-files.txt
[...]
> +--overlay::
> +	Show files that are marked no-checkout but exist in working directory.
> +

Shouldn't this be another letter in status mode? What about files
which should be not checked-out, but are modified? Or for simplicity
it is just list of files which have "no checkout" bit set, but are
present in working directory (and are not unmerged?)?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git