Subject: Re: [PATCH] cat-file --batch / --batch-check: do not exit if hashes are missing

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 04:07:14 -0700 (PDT)

Lea Wiemann <[email-masked]> writes:

>  From a recent IRC conversation (with permission):
> 
> Dscho thinks that git-cat-file --batch should print an error and exit
> if passed an invalid revision (as opposed to the current behavior of
> printing "<object> missing" and continuing), since anything else would
> be unexpected. [1]  He says that an --ignore-missing option should be
> introduced instead, and cat-file --batch should exit on non-existent
> objects unless the --ignore-missing option is given.
[...]

> If Dscho (or anybody else) wants to introduce an --ignore-missing
> option, feel free to submit it separately, but please don't object to
> my patch because of it -- my patch is merely fixing the existing
> code. (Note that such an option is unlikely to make it into the code
> though, since it would have to change the existing behavior of
> cat-file --batch, which other programs rely on.)

I think the (usual) solution is to add --ignore-missing and
--no-ignore-missing (or --noignore-missing), add configuration
option 'catfile.ignoreMissing', make ignore-missing default and
deprecate it with some transition time...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git