Subject: Re: sunos nay install nay ginstall nay

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 05:08:58 -0700 (PDT)

Jan Engelhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I found myself in a position to compile Git on Nexenta, and ran into
> the incredibly smart Makefile logic to pick "ginstall" when `uname -s`
> equals SunOS. Except that on GNU/*, it's install, not ginstall.
> Would not it be time to completely use automake?

First, you can use ./configure when installing git, but as a way to
set Makefile variables rather than as a way to build Makefile.  By
decision autoconf is _optional_.

Now autoconf macro AC_PROG_INSTALL requires to have ubstall-sh or
install.sh fallback script version of install in sources.  We need to
have minimal version; it doesn't need to be insanely portable, just as
portable as git would be enough.  So if you are interested in
./configure detecting proper 'install' binary (or fallback to script),
please propose (e.g. via patch) some install.sh to use.

Second, you can always use INSTALL=install when compiling, or set it
up in config.mak, the Makefile configuration file.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git