Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-rebase.sh: Update USAGE string (No. 1)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:52:23 -0800 (PST)

Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-rebase.sh: Update USAGE string (No. 1)

What's with the "(No. 1)" here? If you want to add some comment that
should *not* be part of commit message, put it in brackets beside
PATCH, for example "[PATCH/RFC]", "[PATCH (resend)]", 
"[PATCH (amend)]", "[PATCH v2]" etc.

> Present the options in -s|--long (short, long) order.
> Mention merge and new whitespace option.
> 
> ed-off-by: Jari Aalto <jari.aalto AT cante.net>

I guess that it is copy'n'paste error, and it should be
Signed-off-by: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>

>  
> -USAGE='[--interactive | -i] [-v] [--onto <newbase>] <upstream> [<branch>]'
> +USAGE='[-i|--interactive] [-v|--verbose]
> +[--whitespace={nowarn|warn|error|error-all|strip}]

I would say "[--whitespace=<option>]" or "[--whitespace=<action>]"
instead of introducing yet not agreed upon notation (this has the
advantage of shortening synopisis, which should be short IMHO).

Besides here the mutually exclusive options are naturelly delimited,
so you can say just (I think):
   [--whitespace=nowarn|warn|error|error-all|strip]

> +[-m|--merge] [--onto <newbase>] <upstream> [<branch>]'
> +

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git