Subject: Re: In future, to replace autotools by cmake like KDE4 did?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 04:14:42 -0800 (PST)

"J.C. Pizarro" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The autotools ( automake + libtool + autoconf + ... ) generate many big
> files that they have been slowing the building's computation and growing
> enormously their cvs/svn/git/hg repositories because of generated files.
[cut]

And this is relevant for this mailing list exactly how? From the whole
autotools package git uses only autoconf, and only as an optional part
to configure only Makefile configuration variables.

Generated files should not be put into version control, unless it is
for convenience only in separate branch like HTML and manpage versions
of git documentation are in 'html and 'man' branches, respectively.
The same could be done with ./configure script.

Although there was some talk about whether giw should use autotools,
or perhaps CMake, or handmade ./configure script like MPlayer IIRC,
instead of its own handmade Makefile...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
ShadeHawk on #git