Subject: Re: Bug! Git merge also fails with a wrong error message

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:34:29 -0800 (PST)

Yves Goergen <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 13.01.2012 18:56 CE(S)T, Carlos Martín Nieto wrote:
 
> > Gmane is a mailing list viewer and there /only/ is the real maling
> > list. The e-mail you provided for yourself looks bogus, but if it
> > isn't, you'll notice we communicate via e-mail.
> 
> Well, I am very confused. Starting from git-scm.com, the only support
> site is a mailing list, and the hyperlink on that word sends me to Gmane
> which says I am in a newsgroup called "gmane.comp.version-control.git".

Note however that the _text_ of the hyperlink is

  [email-masked] mailing list

> Since I don't have access to the news system, I need to use the Gmane
> website. I don't know exactly what it is.

GMane is an e-mail to news gateway, and a mailing list archive. It
exposes mailing list as a newsgroup, so it can be read and written to
via newsreader (via Usenet).

Perhaps better solution would be to use mailto:[email-masked]
link, and add a sentence about archives / alternative interfaces.

>                                  I know mailing lists, but that
> doesn't look like one at all. There's not even a subscription page or
> address. 

[email-masked] is a public non-subscribe mailing list; you don't
need to subscribe to post requests there.  Note that it is a custom on
this mailing list to always include all participants in given
(sub)thread directly in Cc, so you should get responses to your emails
even if you are not subscribed.

[...]
> So am I now subscribed to that "[email-masked]" mailing list and do
> my posts show up there? I have no idea what's going on, neither in my
> repository, nor in this mailing list. Confusing and non-transparent.

If you send email to [email-masked], it would also appear on
GMane.

-- 
Jakub Narebski