Subject: Re: Document clone of clone loosing branches?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 01:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

Vaclav Hanzl <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wander whether man git-clone is correct when it says "creates
> remote-tracking branches for each branch in the cloned repository".
> 
> IMHO remote-tracking branches in the original repository _are_
> branches and they are _not_ cloned (when using git-clone with no
> options) - maybe this is worth noting very explicitly?

It probably should read "for each _regular_ branch in the cloned
repository".

And of course if you are creating bare clone it does mirror regular
branches (1:1 mapping) instead of remote-tracking branches (mappping
from refs/heads/* into refs/remotes/origin/* namespace).

[...]
> Is it just my failure to read those few hundred man pages carefully
> enough (I did my best :-) ), or something worth fixing in man
> git-clone and tutorials?

Even if it is just your failure it would be worh correcting
(enhancing) documentation to make it more clear.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git