Subject: Re: Something is broken in repack

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:40:25 -0800 (PST)

"Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Dec 14, 2007 1:14 PM, Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > Hmmm... it is even documented in git-gc(1)... and git-index-pack(1) of
> > > all things.
> >
> > I found that the .keep file is not transmitted over the network (at
> > least I tried with git+ssh:// and http:// protocols), however.
> 
> I'm thinking about "git clone --keep" to mark initial packs precious.
> But 'git clone' is under rewrite to C. Let's wait until C rewrite is
> done.

But if you clone via network, pack might be network optimized if you
use "smart" transport, not disk optimized, at least with current git
which regenerates pack also on clone AFAIK.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git