Subject: Re: gc getting called on each git command ... what's wrong?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:09:12 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Harris <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Geoff Russell wrote:
> >
> > As of today, almost every time I do a git command, gc is getting
> > invoked.
> 
> >   There are 96 pack files.
> 
> That's why. See gc.autopacklimit in "git help config" -- by default,
> git will gc if there are more than 50 pack files.

Actually it looks like it is combination of this and packSizeLimit set
to 30M.  Git notices that it has too many packfiles, and tries to
repack them, but packlimit forces Git to split it into small
packfiles... and end up with more packfiles than limit anyway.

Perhaps git should notice that it has nonsensical combination of
options...
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git