Subject: Re: Feature Request: Capability to save and load the workspace

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:20:25 -0700 (PDT)

Yakup Akbay <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure whether such a feature exists or not. But let me explain my
> concern.
> 
> Say, we have different profiles for different products. When I work on a
> profile (edit, configure, build etc.) I can't switch to another profile
> before I distclean the existing one. So, when I have to work on 2
> projects at the same time, I have to have 2 copies of the same source
> tree. This might be OK for 2, but if the repository is around 3 gigs
> this is not quite suitable for more than 2 profiles.
> 
> IT WOULD BE NICE to have a feature in git that allows us to save the
> current workspace then work on a different profile on a clean
> environment. Then save that profile and switch back to the previous
> profile at any time without losing the environment.

First, if the problem is repository size, you can use git-new-workdir
script from contrib/ to have multiple checkouts for a single
repository (but each checkout better be on different branch).

As to "save current state": take a look at 'git stash' command, which
saves state of working directory (and index).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git