Subject: Re: RPM for gitweb (was: SPEC files for git)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:57:07 -0800 (PST)

Nicolas Morey-Chaisemartin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm trying to recompile gitweb-1.6.0.4-1 for RHEL5, but I'm missing
> the spec file.  I've checked the git SRPM. 

Which SRPM? The one for RHEL or Fedora Core, or the one from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/RPMS/SRPMS/ ?

> It generates a lot of things but no RPM for gitweb.
> 
> Is there any place with an official spec file? Or has anyone made one
> which he could share?

The .spec file for various git subpackages (git, git-all, git-svn,
gitk, git-gui, git-email, perl-Git, etc.) is in git src.rpm file, and
source for it can be found as git.spec.in file in git.git repository.

There is no gitweb RPM subpackage in generic .spec file from git.git
repository (from kernel.org) because 1.) installation of CGI scripts
(or mod_perl legacy scripts) depends on distribution (what web server
is installed, where and how config for this web server is managed);
2.) there is no standard place where to put git repositories to be
hosted by gitweb like /var/www/html/ or /var/www/cgi-bin/

Read gitweb/INSTALL[1] from git repository on how to install gitweb.

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git/:/gitweb/README
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git