Subject: Re: Git commit hash clash prevention

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 07:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

martin f krafft <[email-masked]> writes:

> the other day during a workshop on Git, one of the attendants asked
> about the scenario when two developers, Jane and David, both working
> on the same project, both create a commit and the two just so happen
> to have the same SHA-1. I realise that the likelihood of this
> happening is about as high as the chance of <insert witty joke
> here>, but it *is* possible, isn't it? Even though this is thus
> somewhat academic, I am still very curious about it.
> 
> What happens when David now pulls from Jane? How does Git deal with
> this?

Cannot happen in practice.

But just in case git trusts object it already has in repository over
object which just got fetched (or pushed).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git