Subject: Re: how to git-archive ignore some files?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 02:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Another idea: would it make sense to have an attribute for that instead
> > (or in addition to the command line parameter)?  I.e. files marked
> > export-ignore would not end up in the archive.  I suspect the set of
> > files to ignore doesn't change from archive to archive one creates.
> 
> That sounds extremely sensible.
> 
> Should/does git-archive read .gitattributes from the tree being exported?

If I understand and remember correctly, current implementation of
gitattributes, and current tools (git-check-attr), use and can use
only working directory version of .gitattributes, in part because of
chicken-and-egg problem (attributes effect checkout) IIRC.

It would be nice if git-archive read and use .gitattribues from
a tree being exported; this would for example make `export-subs`
work even for bare repositories.  This would be needed for
`export-ignore`.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git