Subject: Re: [PATCH] rebase: learn --discard subcommand

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 06:41:44 -0700 (PDT)

Martin von Zweigbergk <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe the recent patch [1] about adding information to git status
> about any ongoing operation would help. I'm not sure, but I think I
> would personally be a bit hesitant to cancel the current sequence
> operation without first checking what it was. OTOH, if I don't even
> remember starting a rebase operation, maybe knowing whether it was a
> rebase or an am operation might not help much. But if the message from
> git status would actually say something like "rebase in progress:
> [2/3] War on nbsp: a bit of retreat", then that might help more in
> making a decision to cancel or not.
> 
>  [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/172919

Such information could be not enough.  I understand that "git status"
output space is limited, but it would be nice if e.g. "git status -v"
described current state in more detail:

  rebase in progress: [2/3] War on nbsp: a bit of retreat"
  rebasing xx/foo --onto master~5

It would describe which branch were we rebasing, and on what commit
(preferring for name-rev description to start from branch we were
rebasing onto, if possible).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git