Subject: Re: Gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:27:30 -0700 (PDT)

delux <[email-masked]> writes:

> I posted on another subject before and thanks to all who replied to
> that, Now I want to put gitweb on my server and have read everything
> to do it but cant seem to find the files. I know that it is supposed
> to be bundled with git but I am not the one who installed git, so is
> there anywhere I can get the gitweb files?

First, what operating system, and in the case of Linux what
distribution do you use?  For example both Fedora Core and Debian (so
also all Debian-derived distributions like Ubuntu) have gitweb*
package; so it should be very simple to install this.

Because installing CGI script (or legacy mod_perl script) differs from
distribution to distribution, therefore stock RPMS from kernel.org
doesn't create gitweb package.  So you would have to either download
source tarball, or clone git repository, read gitweb/INSTALL and then
run 
  $ make gitweb/gitweb.cgi <options>
or 
  $ make configure && ./configure && make gitweb/gitweb.cgi
and simply copy the files (there is no install target for gitweb) as
described, ensuring that web server is configured to run CGI scripts
(or mod_perl scripts).

You can see gitweb at work at http://git.debian.org, and modified
gitweb at http://git.kernel.org and http://repo.or.cz.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git