Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] gitweb: Syntax highlighting support

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:01:12 -0800 (PST)

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> 
> It requires the 'highlight' program to do all the heavy-lifting:
> http://www.andre-simon.de / http://wiki.andre-simon.de

[...]
> ---
> This is a RFC, because there exist other syntax highlighters that can
> function as filter (take input from STDIN, and write result to STDOUT),
> and have (X)HTML among supported output formats.  Beside 'highlight'
> by Andre Simon, there is also 'source-highlight' (GNU Source Highlight),
> and probably other programs.  

Actually GNU Source Highlight (http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite)
as it is now wouldn't be a good fit for gitweb, because it lacks 
equivalent of Highlight '--fragment' option; even with '--no-doc' it
prefixes contents with some comments and wraps the whole with <pre><tt>
tags.

On the other hand side one can also use Perl modules from CPAN for
syntax highlighting.  It would be nice to have this option for syntax
highlighting in gitweb.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git