Subject: Re: Confused about "ident" filter

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:27:30 -0700 (PDT)

Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]> writes:

> Peter Karlsson wrote:
> > I tried doing "git checkout test.perl", I tried "git clone" to get a new
> > copy of the repository, but still it showed only "$Id$".
> 
> In fact I'm a little confused too.  The only way I found to expand
> "$Id$" consistently was "rm test.perl; git checkout test.perl", or "rm
> test.perl; git reset --hard HEAD".

I think that "git checkout -f test.perl" should work, forcing git to
replace existing file.

As to clone problem: it might be chicken and egg problem, with `ident`
filter needing .gitattribites in working directory during checkout
phase (currently there is no way to use gitattributes from a tree in
repository), and checkout writing this file.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git