Subject: Re: [gitweb feature request] Release snapshots with vX.X.X tags

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 05:40:54 -0800 (PST)

Bram Neijt <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would like to create release snapshots with a git tag like "v0.0.1".
> For proper Debian packaging, a release snapshot of tag "v0.0.1" would
> have to be named "project-0.0.1.tar.gz" and contain a single directory
> with "project-0.0.1/" in the archive.
> 
> Attached is a very dirty patch to the current head of gitweb.perl to
> change the snapshot if the requested hash has a tag which matches
> "m/^v(.+)\^0$/". This regular expression will probably have to be more
> strict then that in the future, but my main concern is the quality of
> the patch, and whether or not this feature is something the mainstream
> would appreciate.
> 
> My question to you all is: would this feature be considered as an
> addition, and if so what would be the best way to get this patch into
> shape for inclusion?

See Documentation/SubmittingPatches in git sources or in gitweb:
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD
Patch should be posted _inline_[1] (to make it easy to review the
patch), and should use _unified_ (diff -u) format (to make it possible
to apply patch correctly even if file changed in meantime) if you
can't install git and use it (git format-patch) to generate a patch.

By the way there is patch on git mailing list addressing part of
mentioned issue:
  "[PATCHv2 0/3] gitweb: Smarter snapshot names"
  Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/132366
(earlier version of this patch can be found in 'pu' branch as merge
from 'mr/gitweb-snapshot' into pu).

This patch makes snapshot with name "project-version.tar.gz" to
contain single directory "project-version/" in the archive.  Snapshot
of tag *if requested* using 'refs/tags/v0.0.1' as 'h' (hash) parameter
would have "project-v0.0.1.tar.gz" as proposed archive filename...
but this patch doesn't make gitweb generate such links.

[1] In very rare cases such as troubles with whitespace, line-wrapping
    and encoding it might be better to attach it with text/plain
    mimetype.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git