Subject: Re: git submodules

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:27:00 -0700 (PDT)

Steven Noonan <[email-masked]> writes:

> We're using git submodules for the contributing libraries. When I
> commit changes to those contribs, it correctly shows in the parent
> repository that those folders have different revisions than what's
> currently committed. However, if someone pulls those changes, it
> doesn't automatically update the contribs to match the committed
> version. But doing a pull or merge _should_ update the working tree to
> match the committed versions. It does with file data, so why not
> update the submodules? Especially if the submodule revision matched
> the committed version -before- the pull. Why are we forced into using
> 'git submodule update'?

Because you might want not to use most current version of submodule,
so git-pull shouldn't update submodules by default.  And because
git-pull didn't learn --recursive option yet.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git