Subject: Re: how to rewalk the commit list after rename detection

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:50:01 -0700 (PDT)

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> writes:
> Don Zickus, Mon, Jun 23, 2008 17:38:14 +0200:
> >
> > I am trying to find a way to handle a situation where I am looking for a
> > change in a particular file, but the filename is old and has since been
> > renamed.
> > 
> > Processing the commit list internally (using init_revisions,
> > setup_revisions, get_revision), I can easily find the rename of the file,
> > but that is usually the start of the walk for that file (as it was just
> > deleted for the rename).  I do not know how to re-walk the commits list
> > armed with the new file name.
> 
> Try looking at git log --follow <name>

Unfortunately it _almost_ works, see:
  "git log --follow <filename> doesn't follow across 'subtree strategy' merge"
  Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/85766

("git log --follow gitweb/gitweb.perl follows rename from gitweb/gitweb.cgi,
but not rename (moving) from gitweb.cgi in a merge commit).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git