Subject: Re: [PATCH] Explain what 'ginstall' is

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:21:08 -0800 (PST)

Andy Dougherty <[email-masked]> writes:

> [...].  Perhaps configure
> should just go looking for a suitable install program instead of
> assuming everyone has one.

First, configure is, and (I think) consensus is that it should remain
optional.  This means that Makefile "guess" section should have good
defaults for your operating system.

Second, the default autoconf macro AC_PROG_INSTALL *requires* that
there is BSD-compatible `install' program (as 'install-sh' or
'install.sh') in the sources.  Adding such script is (I think) not a
problem; finding minimal portable[*1*] script is.  So if you know
one...

Footnotes:
----------
[*1*] By "portable" I mean here 'git portable', i.e. requiring only
those shell constructs/features that git require, not necessary
insanelt portable the way ./configure script is.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland
ShadeHawk on #git