Subject: Re: How to use git attributes to configure server-side checks?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:54:50 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for the reply and for explaining how the index can(not) be used
> for this purpose.  But what you propose is not flexible enough for me.
> I would like the checking configuration to be *versioned* along with the
> code. [...]

[...]

> For this to be possible, I would need to determine the git attributes to
> apply to a particular file in a particular commit; something like
> 
>     git check-attr check-space-indent $SHA1:path/to/file
> 
> This does not seem to be possible today without writing my own code to
> crawl and parse the gitattributes files from a particular commit.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be there mechanism to query about
state of gitattributes at given commit.

There is a slight problem from the UI point of view of git-check-attr,
namely that there are _three_ pieces of information: a place to read
.gitattributes from (working tree, index, commit), list of attributes
to check (or --all) and list of files (list of paths).  You can use
"--" to separate _two_ pieces of information.

Nb. the ability to read gitattributes from given commit would be
useful also for gitweb (the `encoding` gitattribute, etc.).

-- 
Jakub Narębski