Subject: Re: [PATCHv5] Add Gitweb support for XZ compressed snapshots

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 02:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

demerphq <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW the perl project ripped out all the snapshot generation logic
> from gitweb, and replaced it with a tool that generates snapshots
> correctly for our requirements (if the build process needs additional
> files /currently/ git-archive does not support adding them), this
> includes a disk level cache for the snapshots since creating the tar,
> adding the additional files, then gziping is quite slow.
> 
> If its interesting to people I can post it and the other changes here,
> although its not a "nice" change, as I literally ripped out the
> existing code.

Do you mean gitweb serving http://perl5.git.perl.org/ ?

Well, at least publish this version of gitweb somewhere (snapshot or
better git repository), and add it to the list of gitweb forks at
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/Gitweb wiki page.

Sidenote: snapshot support appeared, as far as I know, first at fork of
gitweb that had been used by XMMS2, but the snapshot was generated by
a separate snapshot.cgi script... written in Python.  (Now they use
stock (if old) gitweb, I think.)

P.S. Perhaps you or other Perl Mongers would be interested in creating
yet another git web interface, in Perl, but contrary to (current)
gitweb modular and using more of CPAN modules?  For example convert
SVN::Web or Insurrection (or other Perl module) from Subversion (or
other SCM) to Git (and rename it to Git::Web, or ???).

P.P.S. Could you per chance post announcement of Git User's Survey 2009
on http://perl5.git.perl.org, just like it is done on http://repo.or.cz
and http://git.kernel.org?  TIA.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
ShadeHawk on #git

Git User's Survey 2009
http://tinyurl.com/GitSurvey2009